Which doctor to believe?

I have lumps on top of the hammertoes on the 3rd and 4th toes of each foot. The skin is hard, and if I file it down, the skin is still raised (thickened) from the surrounding knuckle area, and is red and sensitive. The hardened skin always grows back. I've consulted two podiatrists, and both say that hammertoe surgery is an option. However, while Dr. #1 says that the lumps will not go away after the surgery, Dr. #2 says that they will. I am skeptical about what Dr. #2 says, but at the same time, I'm desperate to get rid of the lumps and want to believe her. I tried Dr. Scholls many years ago, and if anything, I think they may have contributed to the permanence of the lumps. I inherited my mother's feet; she used to have lumps, too (she also has hammertoes), but since she started wearing sandals a few months ago (forced to after injuring her foot) after DECADES of pointy-toed heels, the lumps have all gone away and her feet are beautiful! I have been wearing comfortable shoes for YEARS, and the lumps are still there! She also used Dr. Scholls about 10 years ago, but perhaps not as aggressively and often as I did.
I would like to know which Dr. is more correct, and if surgery will not get rid of the lumps, what will? Neither podiatrist has named any other options, and I don't know where else I can turn. If podiatry is not the answer, any suggestions as to what kind of medical expert (orthopedist, plastic surgeon?) to consult would also be highly appreciated.

Posted By Jin on September 11, 2003 at 19:45:38:


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Foot Forum ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Foot Forum ] [ Disclaimer ]