Re: echinacea stoppage time factor before surgery-"final call"

: : Discuss this with your doctor who may then discuss this with the anesthesiologist. There may be different rules for different places. Until then do not take any more Echinacea. By the way, I have no strenous objection to herbals or homeopathic remedies if they appear to be working. But, I read a recent study from Germany I believe that showed in a duble blinded study, Echinecea was no more effective than placebo.

: Yeah, saw that too in my reading, so perhaps in the future I'll just ditch it and stick to zinc and vitamin c, which at least I think help limit duration anyway.
: If worse comes to worse, my surgery can be postponed by a week. I didn't take hoardes of echinacea anyway, but still wouldn't want the risk of it interacting with IV sedation and antibiotics. I hate this, because the whole reason I even took some was just to boost my immunity to ward off the potential to catch a cold so that a cold wouldn't interfere with my surgery! How counterproductive this might be!!
: Anyway, Dr Vivian, I get the impression that echinacea is not something you seem too worried about having any serious reactions, but the anesthesiologist will make the call. Thanks!!!


Well-had my preadmission appointment today-met with the anesthesiologist, and thankfully the echinacea is not a large concern, at least not with my case. I got the overall impression that it's not one he worries about as much, but he did say that 10 days stoppage before surgery would still be a good idea. The upshot of this in my opinion anyway is that anyone with upcoming surgery should just simply not take ANY type of supplement/herb. That's certainly the safest bet.
Anyway, I'm pleased that my procedure will go off as scheduled! I'm glad too, because it ached a tad yesterday-everytime I think I can maybe get around waiting a while to have this done, it hurts again.I have arthritic changes with this bunion. Just want it over with, so that I can be on the road to a fixed foot!!!

Posted By baje on December 01, 2003 at 12:46:38:

In Reply to: Re: echinacea stoppage time factor before surgery posted by baje on November 30, 2003 at 22:22:28:

Indications: Achilles tendonitis, Acute Achilles paratendonitis, Achillobursitis, Post-operative treatment after Achilles tendon ruptures, Posterior Achilles tendon bursitis.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Foot Forum ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Foot Forum ] [ Disclaimer ]